Skip to main content

The Young Scientists Club - The Magic School Bus activity kits {Review}

As part of my opportunity to review CSN products, I chose some Magic School Bus activity sets called The Young Scientists Club. We have not used these sets yet, because I actually have plans for them for next school year.

As soon as I received them, though, I became immediately inspired!

The first one is The Magic School Bus: A Journey into the Human Body activity kit.


Ms Frizzle and her students take children on a wild ride into the human body with these breathtaking experiments. This exciting kit includes a life-size poster with 8 sheets of body part stickers! Seatbelts, everyone!

Features:
  • Winner! 2007 National Association of Gifted Children Gifted Child Holiday Pick List, Dr. Toy’s Best 10 Educational Products and 100 Best Children’s Products Awards, 2007 Toy of the Year Award from Creative Child Magazine, 2007 Father's Day Seal of Approval from Mr. Dad eChoice (Editor’s Choice) Award, 2007 Seal of Approval and Award of Excellence from The Toy Man, Three iParenting Media Outstanding Products Awards, Three 2008 Canadian Toy Testing Council (CTTC) Honors, Two 2007 Parents’ Choice Foundation Recommended Awards!!
  • Bend bones, make joints, map taste buds, expand lungs, build a stethoscope, measure lung capacities and heart rates, perform the iodine starch test, spin glitter, simulate synovial fluid, create a human body poster.
The Human Body is the first science unit we will do in the fall. We will read The Magic School Bus books and watch the movie having to do with the human body. We will also read other living books on the subject. These experiments will be perfect to go with the unit!! I am so excited to get started!!!



Ms. Frizzle and her students take children on a wild ride into the secrets of space with spectacular experiments. This thrilling kit includes an interactive space poster with sheets of planet and star stickers. Seatbelts, everyone!

Features:
  • Winner! 2007 National Association of Gifted Children Gifted Child Holiday Pick List, Dr. Toy’s Best 10 Educational Products and 100 Best Children’s Products Awards, 2007 Toy of the Year Award from Creative Child Magazine, 2007 Father's Day Seal of Approval from Mr. Dad eChoice (Editor’s Choice) Award, 2007 Seal of Approval and Award of Excellence from The Toy Man, Three iParenting Media Outstanding Products Awards, Three 2008 Canadian Toy Testing Council (CTTC) Honors, Two 2007 Parents’ Choice Foundation Recommended Awards!!
  • Construct a night-vision flashlight, design a solar system mobile, build a constellation box, draw constellation cards, recreate the phases of the moon, make a model of a solar eclipse, observe magic beads change color, assemble a working telescope
After we complete our unit on The Human Body, we will be moving right along to a study of space, using this kit! How fun does this look?? Again, we will read The Magic School Bus books on space exploration and watch any of their videos, as well. We will supplement with other living books on space. It will be so fun!

It's everything I can do to not get started on one of these units right now! But, I already have plans for the rest of this school year and really want to use these next year. For now they are just sitting in their boxes on the shelf waiting to be cracked open and used!

I would highly recommend these products and am sure these will not be the only two kits we use.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a