Skip to main content

Our Schedule

I had fun yesterday with Brynne's Co-op Playgroup moms discussing the differences in how we schedule our homeschool days. All of these moms have early elementary, and mostly kindergarten, aged children. Their days aren't quite as scheduled as mine is. If I was just schooling Brynne, mine would probably be a little more lax, too. (Or maybe not, because I am a schedule freak). But, having a high school student tends to kick you in the rear when it comes to getting everything done every day.

Based on what we realistically did last year (it being our rookie homeschooling year), what we have to accomplish this year (from a high school perspective), and the priority of our reading goals, here is what I have come up with for a schedule:


I feel like this is a very doable (and necessary) schedule. I do plan to have Dawson participating in "school" from 9:00-3:00 (or until his work is all done) every day. If he completes an assignment set before the next scheduled block, he is to read his Personal Reading book. He has a genre goal he needs to meet for the year.

Comments

  1. I do a schedule for our days too. If I don't, before we know it, it'll be 2:30 and we will have gotten only one subject done! If I have a schedule, it helps us plan our days and stay on track. We can always choose to deviate from the schedule on a given day for a specific reason (an extra project, a doctor appointment, a field trip, etc). But when we do that, its by choice and having the schedule gives us a framework for our days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a lot harder with a highschooler! That's for sure. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If only my own schedule had a slot for me sleeping until 9 am...! Ah well, those days are over for now. Darn it.

    Have a great year!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a