Skip to main content

Weekly Wrap-Up ~ Yes, we had school!

We actually had a couple of days of school this week. We follow the public school calendar, because two of mine are still in public school. So we had school on Monday and Tuesday.

Of course I wanted our focus to be on Thanksgiving. But since we are going to see replicas of the Nina and Pinta next Monday, I wanted to throw in a little Columbus and ship study, too. So we did a little mash up.

Dawson finished watching The Andromeda Strain for Biology and answered questions about it. He sure thought that learning the effects of deadly viruses on ph balances and amino acids through a movie (albiet low-quality) was much better than just reading about it in a book! It was obvious from our question-answer discussion that he picked up some good stuff. On Monday we will actually be starting our first chapter on Energy. Our focus has been on cells and the patterns of life so we are ready to jump into our first major topic!

In addition to his Biology studies, Dawson plugged away at Algebra, Critical Thinking and Grammar. Then he joined Brynne and I in our Thanksgiving/Columbus studies.

He read The Nina, The Pinta and The Santa Maria by Dennis Brindell Fradin.

He drew one of the ships and Columbus from the Draw Write Now book we picked up from the library. These two were actually two separate lessons, but he put them into one drawing. Notice Columbus' Santa hat? Dawson always finds a way to throw in something quirky.


He also wrote a five senses poem from his IEW curriculum.

Thanksgiving

Once our boat hits the sand,
We go to the indians to shake their hand.
It's cold outside, they keep us warm.
They teach us proper ways to farm.
We hug them tight cause we have peace,
So tomorrow we have a delicious feast.
We catch the scent that the food is done.
We all gather to have some fun.
We sing and dance upon our feet.
Thank you, LORD, for what we're about to eat.

Brynne and I, in the meantime, read Oh, What a Thanksgiving by Steven Kroll and A Picture Book of Christopher Columbus by David A. Adler.

She drew her picture of one of Columbus' ships, and put a stick-figure of Columbus on it. This picture reflects Columbus landing on an island that has a mountain (the gray thing) and a palm tree. She also copied the text from the Draw Write Now lesson.


In math, she did a couple of worksheets. One was a number order sheet and one was a math addition facts sheet. She said, "This is so boring." I knew they were well below her knowlege level, but I couldn't really find anything Thanksgivingish that was at her level.


So, I had her paint a paper plate to look like a pumpkin.


And the next day I cut it into parts and we did an introduction to fractions lesson.


She also worked on her handwriting, copywork, grammar, and did some personal reading to finish off the week. She has a nasty cold (again) so by yesterday afternoon she was winding down pretty hard and ended her day on the couch watching a Barbie movie. She was supposed to go with her homeschool choir to sing at the Community Center this morning, but I decided it probably wasn't a good idea to expose her snottiness to the elderly.

Over the next few days, we will be discussing the First Thanksgiving and also reading the book Thanksgiving on Thursday by Mary Pope Osborne.

I know many of you took the whole week off. I hope that you are enjoying your family time!!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Counting my blessings,
Nicole

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a