Skip to main content

Homeschool Mother's Journal


In my life this week ... Well, let's see. We just bought a house built in 1918 that was, I swear, most recently occupied by persons on acid. We have painted EVERY SINGLE surface of the interior of the house this week (walls, trim, wainscoting, doors, cabinets, ceilings, and fireplace) and it took at least three coats on everything to cover the red, hot pink, dark purple, gold, green, blue, dark brown, and black paint colors. We painted all the woodwork white, the living and dining room a nice pale yellow, the sitting room and hall and darker gold, a couple of rooms tan and one gray, the bathroom green and brown, and the kitchen green with white painted brick and black cabinets. We have laid tile in the kitchen and bathroom and grouted it. We have sanded 1500 square feet of hardwood floors. Tomorrow I am staining them all. by. myself. Then on Sunday we are sealing them. I've made four trips to Lowe's in a nearby town for supplies, eaten countless numbers of Dairy Queen foods, and drank many diet cherry limeades from Sonic. Oh, and I celebrated my 41st birthday on Wednesday. I feel every day of those years, believe me.

In our homeschool this week ... It was the week that was to be, but wasn't. We started out strong having school at grandma's on Monday. I intended for us to still have school each day. And then the multiple coats of paint began. So, school has been put off until next week.

Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share ... Listen to your husband when he says, "You are renovating a house next week, and getting ready to move ... so why don't you NOT start school yet."

I am inspired by ... the get-up-and-go personalities of my mom and aunt. I have taken on a little bit of that attitude this week, with all there has been to do.

My favorite thing this week was ... the crazy transformation of our new house. Pictures do not even begin to depict what we have accomplished. And, I learned how to grout tile. That was cool.  

What's working/not working for us ... School on the road. I had such good intentions but, nah.

Questions/thoughts I have ... Looks like with our delays, our winter break will now just be the month of December, instead of Thanksgiving to the New Year.

Things I'm working on ... Staining hardwood floors. I am terrified about how it will look, but Rick assures to me to just continue on and it will be fine.

I'm reading ... Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. I only have three more chapters. If you are following along, I probably won't get my thoughts up until next week. I brought the book here, but haven't touched it.

I'm cooking ... I haven't cooked all week, but my parents have fed us. Thank you mom and dad!

I'm grateful for ... My husband who I depend on to talk me off that ledge I find myself on sometimes. He is an amazing support to me.

I'm praying for ... my nerves tomorrow as I tackle staining our floors. Can I pray that I not totally mess them up?

A photo, video, link, or quote to share ...
 
The house I am renovating (same picture you've already seen). I hope to do a collage of before and after pics soon.




I am also linking up at Weekly Wrap-up with Kris at Weird, Unsocialized Homeschoolers,


Comments

  1. Wow! You have been one busy gal!!! Can't wait for the pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a crazy week for you all. Soon you will be reaping the benefits of all this hard work with a happy, comfortable home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Why don't you not start school yet...." Smart man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicole, your new house is so cute! Has your daughter already claimed that front tree for a swing?

    Anything you do to the floors is bound to be an improvement on what was there before, right? And any glitchy spots you could always throw an area rug over. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. School! I would even think about it. Also can't wait for pics. Will pray that all goes well with the floors today. I admire *your* get-up-and-go attitude!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Um, how are you awake to type up a blog post? LOL Crazy-busy, but I'm sure it'll be worth it when it's all finished!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have certainly been busy. Would love to see more pictures of the house.
    Blessings
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  8. You absolutely get a free pass for not schooling this past week! It's amazing how much you've done during this whole time of getting ready to move. It's good to show the kids hard work and perseverance too, right?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a