Skip to main content

Follow-up to the Book Report Post


A couple of weeks ago I posed the following question on both this blog and the Schoolhouse Review Crew Forum:

Do you think it is important to have your child do a formal book report (of some kind) after reading a book?

I received several responses, of which I really appreciated.

There was a reason that I asked the question. Up until just a few weeks ago, my kids have been fairly reluctant readers. Yes, they read when they were told to, but they just did it because it was required. There was no spark, no interest, no joy. I am an avid reader and so desperately want my kids to be, as well!

A couple of weeks ago I started requiring the kids (now ages 9 and 7) to read age-appropriate chapter books. I let them start out with graphic novels. Eli really seemed to enjoy them. And, Brynne moved on to read the first book of Diary of a Wimpy Kid. They liked what they were reading. I saw smiles and received no complaints when I told them it was time to read.


Eli moved into the Captain Underpants series. He read the first two books in 6 days. As soon as he was done with the second book he said, "When do I get the third book?" While he was reading them, I would observe him smiling and giggling. A couple of times when I told them that time was up, he would say, "No, I'm going to read to the end of this chapter."


Last year Brynne read a few of the books from the Puppy Place series. She would read about one chapter a day. It would take her close to two weeks to read a book. I bought her a new one (because our library doesn't have that series ... Boooo!). She is breezing through it. She said that she likes them so much more this year than last year!

Of course the second they were each done with their first chapter books, I was looking for a book report form. And then I paused .... If I have them do a book report, will it kill their love of reading? My fear is that they will dread reading a book because of the work they will have to do when they are done.

Source

So that's when I asked the question.

After reading all of the responses, and really thinking about them, I have come up with this plan. The kids will not be required to do any kind of formal reporting of their books they read independently. They will get to choose those books based on interest and will be allowed to read them for fun (even though they are required to read for 30 minutes a day).

Source

However, I am always reading them a novel/chapter book of some kind. Sometimes it goes with our current unit study. Sometimes it doesn't. But I am planning to require some kind of formal report of those read-alouds. I do believe book reports are important for many reasons. My problem was just that I didn't want them to ruin my kids' joy of reading.

Source

I love the cereal box reports, dioramas, written forms, etc., there are out there. There are a gazillion different forms and styles of reports. And we will touch on many of them.


We won't do many of them for the remainder of this year. But, next year, they will become a regular part of our school experience.

Thank you for taking the time to give me your opinion on this topic. It was VERY helpful!!

Comments

  1. We had the same experience with book reports; if they knew they were reading for anything other than fun, it just killed the joy. I usually ask casually what happened in the part of the book M read that day...she ends up narrating without realizing it's school related.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do the same thing. They are usually giggling so hard when they tell me (cause they have been reading funny books) that I can't understand a word they say. But, it tells me they are into it!!

      Delete
  2. I was a nerd growing up... I LOVED having to do book reports. Loved them. You never know if they will too :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a