Skip to main content

Weekly Wrap-up ~ Snow Days


What in the heck did we do this week? I am sitting here starting this post and, for the life of me, it seems as though we have done nothing!


In our regular life this week…

Well one reason it has felt like we have done nothing is because these last two days we haven't! We got several inches of snow yesterday so, of course, we had to declare a couple of snow days. Thursday was spent indoors all day because it was snowing and blowing and even thundering in the middle of a snow storm! Today, however, there was much playing outside and we even ventured a walk to grandma's for lunch. Yes, I was there, too!



In our homeschool this week…

So let's break it down. I guess we did get some schoolwork accomplished, but I will admit, we were not very motivated all week. I guess we have the mid-February slumps that homeschoolers get.
  • Bible ~ On Monday we watched "The Prince of Egypt" to give the kids a visualization of the deliverance, plagues, and exodus. Is it just me or do you burst into tears the second you hear Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston sing "When You Believe"?
  • Reading ~ We finished the first book in The Spiderwick Chronicles series and are ready to move onto volume two. We actually found a Notebook for Fantastical Observations that we ordered for Dawson when he was a little boy. Eli played with it all afternoon one day! Our other read-alouds all centered around Abraham Lincoln this week. We read some really great books! Eli is annoyed that his next Captain Underpants books is not in yet! So, he is still reading Arthur. Brynne is 19 pages away from finishing Noodle.
  • Grammar and Spelling ~ We fixed punctuation and capitalization in sentences about Abraham Lincoln and George Washington, and we completed an All About Spelling lesson.
  • Math ~ More multiplication. We also did some tallying and probability by flipping pennies.
  • Spanish ~ We moved onto the Spanish names for man, woman, boy and girl.
  • Geography ~ It was only limited to coloring our United States flag to add to our collection, since we were studying Abraham Lincoln and Presidents Day. 
  • Science ~ We took a break from science this week to focus on our unit study.
  • Unit Study ~ This week it was all about Abraham Lincoln. We didn't get as many projects done as I had hoped because of our snow days. 
  • PE ~ 3 1/2 hours of walking and playing in the snow today!

Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…

There was no Co-op this week because of the snow. We did spend Tuesday at the Scout cabin helping our den leader make some decorations for the Blue and Gold Banquet (which has also been postponed because of the snow). We have pretty much just seen grandma and papa this week. 


A favorite thing this week was…

Watching the pure joy on the faces of my children as they climbed piles and piles of snow today! They even talked Grandma into climbing up!



Helpful homeschooling tips or advice to share ...

As homeschoolers, with our statutory restrictions, we still deserve snow days off just like the public school kids. Take time to enjoy these special days!



Things I’m working on…

* Ideas for the kids to do bird habitat dioramas for the science/geography/art fair at our Co-op in a couple of weeks. I have a great idea for them. I just can't wait to see how they develop it.

* More reviews for the Schoolhouse Review Crew.


I’m grateful for…

the positive attitudes of my kids this week as we incorporated more and more veggies into our diet and drastically reducing the amount of processed foods in our diet. The kids ate vegetable soup, kale chips, and broccoli/corn quiche this week. They also drank lost of green smoothies. We ARE making these changes in our diet, so positive attitudes are making it so much better!


I rewarded my kids this week by…

Giving them a couple of much-needed days off. We all just needed it!



Things you might have missed at Journey to Excellence ...

A photo, video, link, or quote to share (silly, serious or both!)…



We are happily linking up this week at the following sites:






Comments

  1. Wow.......all that snow looks like West Virginia! Glad to hear that you all enjoyed it!

    Kale chips, huh? I haven't made them since last summer. Did you see the smoothie drinks that Aldi started selling? Bolthouse Farms Green Goodness is the one we used last night. It was a hit. I just added some apples and a banana to it. There is another that is blue and contains 5 fruits. Also, strawberry kefir is added to our strawberry/banana smoothies. Kudos to the kiddos (and the mama) for making these changes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so jealous of all that snow!

    Oh wow, I totally didn't think of watching The Prince of Egypt! Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The snow looks really wonderful. We were hoping for some snow this year but all we keep getting is rain. Going in to March we have a smaller and smaller chance if it happening.
    Blessings
    Diane

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a