Skip to main content

Trim Healthy Mama ~ Chapters 7, 8 and 9



This week I was short of time, so I just read the next three chapters. These are the chapters that explain the plan, however, so there was lots of information!

And now I am sold. I am loving the science behind this way of eating, and I am already noticing a difference in my waistline. (In all fairness, I have been doing some extra work outside in the yard each day and doing lots of sweating, so that might be helping.) But, I definitely feel GREAT eating the foods and on the plan. I am excited to share with you what I learned in these chapters.

In a nutshell:
  • Never start your morning with a fruit only breakfast.
  • S meals are satisfying meals which means they are heavier on fat, have a protein as a base, and have extremely minimal carbs (and all non-starchy).
  • E meals are energizing meals which means they are heavier on carbs, have a protein as a base, and have extremely minimal fats.
  • You should alternate these meals and eat them 3 hours apart.
So, like yesterday. I had an E breakfast of an egg white coffee cup omelet with mushrooms, spinach, onions and parmesan cheese on one-half a Joseph's pita.


For lunch I had an S meal of a salmon patty and a salad with lettuce, spinach, mushrooms, chunks of cheddar cheese, avocado, sliced almonds and ranch dressing.


For a snack later in the day I had a banana (which is really a fruit you should avoid because it is about as bad as a starchy white potato ... but, oh well, baby steps) and a spoonful of peanut butter.

We had a softball game and I didn't get dinner, so when I came home I had a big bowl of bran cereal with blueberries, strawberries, and sliced almonds. (Again, this cereal isn't an approved food, but this may be something I am unable to give up. I love my evening bowl of cereal, especially if I have been good all day!) This was definitely an S meal, loaded with carbs! My protein came from the almonds.


I have to say that I am not really loving the majority of the recipes I have tried so far, but I am using the book more as a guide for making sure I eat according to plan.

I made the Muffin in a Cup. I wasn't sold on it. It wasn't sweet enough, if I'm going to eat chocolate. It was too bitter. But, it might be really good with blueberries or strawberries cooked in, and I plan to try that next time.


I have also made the Bread in a Cup. Now, I probably would like this pretty well if I was able to use golden flax meal instead of golden flax seed. I couldn't get the seed to grind up by using my chopper, so I think I am going to have to actually buy a grinder. I haven't looked at Walmart for the meal, but our Amish store doesn't have it. I had it with cheddar cheese which made three grilled cheese sammies.


I did make the Crabby Patties for dinner, which are really just salmon patties. I made them like burgers and put them on buns with cheese for my kids. Brynne's not a huge burger eater, so it wasn't her favorite. But, Eli loved it! It is so healthy so I think I am going to fix those about once a week. I just had mine plain, and then had the leftover one with my salad yesterday. Yum!

Chapters 8 and 9 give you specific lists of all of the approved E and S foods and the things you should not have when eating those meals. That is a list I will keep handy at all times! I plan to just tack a list to my refrigerator of the different meals I eat for breakfast, and code them with E and S, and make a similar list for a few different lunch options coded as well. Then I can choose a breakfast, and if it's an E breakfast then I can choose an S lunch off my list. Then I will know what to make for dinner based on my S lunch choice. If I eat an S lunch, then I will make a more E friendly dinner for our family. And visa versa.

It's just going to take some practice.

I was also so happy to read that they do not expect you to make everything from scratch, especially in the carb department. Rye bread is an approved bread, and I actually like Rye for hot sandwiches. Joseph's Pitas are approved, as are Mission low-carb whole wheat tortillas. These will be very important for me for my lunches. And I don't have to GIVE UP pasta! My family will be THRILLED! I just need to buy Dreamfields pastas. They are approved. (And they sell all of those items at Walmart! So, I don't have to order online or lament the fact that we don't have a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's anywhere in our vicinity!)

I still have so much to learn. These are just the basics. But it's so encouraging!

Next week I will be moving on to Chapter 10, and skipping ahead to look at Chapters 21 and 34.




Comments

  1. Thanks for your words of encouragement today. I am sort of flipping out with all the thoughts of high school.But most of me knows that it will be the same as before just a little harder.
    Blessings
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have the E and S meals switched. :-) E is carb based (carbs = fast energy) and S is fat based (think creamy gravies - homestyle cooking - satisfying).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kori! I changed it on my blog post. In my mind I have it figured out. I just flip-flopped it when I posted about it. One thing is for certain, it is a little complicated and takes some time to work out in your mind!

      Delete
    2. Hello. I enjoyed reading along your posts but I too noticed it still says your cereal fruit and nut meal was an S meal. If you didnt use more than 5grams of fat in the nuts/ilk you are still in an E. Sams brand flakes and cereals are on plan FYI. I like the flakes as cereal and a little in yogurt with berries.

      Delete
  3. Nicole, I love that you are walking through this book. Getting ready to start it soon with Linda from CREW "coaching" us and can't wait. If you get to making lists for your fridge, I would love it if you would share a copy! Sounds like I will need some to keep it all straight! Way to go for doing so well on the program!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you're enjoying the plan! It's life changing. :-) You should start linking up your THM posts to Trim Healthy Tuesday for extra blog exposure. :-)
    ~Stacy @ Stacy Makes Cents

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for making the program user friendly. It is daunting when starting is so complicated, it kind of discouraged me from trying. I had to chuckle because the book is bigger then the Bible and I haven't finished reading it yet. Thanks again

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a