Skip to main content

Classical Conversations ~ PreScripts Cursive Words and Drawing {Schoolhouse Review}


Logo photo classicalconversationslogo_zps461acbc8.jpg

Do you know that many public schools do not even teach their students to write in cursive anymore? It makes me sad to think that my great great grandchildren might come across my journals someday and not be able to read them because they can't read cursive handwriting! Well, my children are going to learn to write and read cursive handwriting ... and use it in their schoolwork and lives! (What, because we do so much texting and electronic communication now are we just going to stop teaching our children how to talk?) We started learning cursive letters this past winter and I wanted to continue the skills and learning through the summer. We have been reviewing PreScripts Cursive Words and Drawing by Classical Conversations for the past several weeks and it is a beautiful product.


Words and Drawing photo classicalconversationswordsanddrawing_zpsc37d2110.gif


We chose to review the Cursive Words and Drawing level. In hindsight I wish that we would have chosen the Cursive Letters and Coloring level instead (the first level). My children are still in the formative stages of learning their cursive letters, and have been learning in a different style, so copying the words and phrases proved to be frustrating. It was an ooops moment for me in choosing the wrong level of this product. This, by the way, is not at all the fault of Classical Conversations because they certainly had a more appropriate level for us. I just chose incorrectly. I just want to make that perfectly clear. And I wanted to point this out so that you could be mindful in choosing which level would be appropriate for your child. 

Continuing to use the product during the review period did challenge and stretch my children. And, that's a good thing! We don't always get to do things the way we want to do them, right? And sometimes things just take a little extra hard work. Although we gave it a go for a few weeks, I did decide that we should put it aside for a bit while we master our cursive letters. In fact, I plan to purchase the Cursive Letters and Coloring level for us to use first.

Let me tell you all the reasons why we will be doing this so that we can pick back up with the Cursive Words and Drawing level at a later date!
  • It comes in a beautiful top spiral, soft-bound book that made writing very comfortable (can you remember learning to write and the spiral getting in the way of your hand?)
  • It is broken up into three parts: Letters, Words, and Scriptures; Writing Numbers in Cursive; and Tricky Letter Combinations in the First Chapter of James.
  • It involves copywork of scripture! It's wonderful!! For instance, on Page 1 the children practiced the capital and lowercase cursive Aa, then they practiced the word "All", and finally they copied Romans 3:23: All have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. Not only did they practice cursive handwriting, but they also read a scripture and then wanted to know what it meant. (A little additional daily devotional!)
  • At the end of each lesson, there is a drawing page. A drawing page? Why would there be a drawing page in a cursive handwriting book? In "A Note for Parents: Tools for the Journey", provided at the beginning of the book, it is explained that "[d]rawing will help develop the fine motor skills necessary for writing and provide practice in sitting still and working independently." And, it was just a fun way to end a (sometimes) difficult writing lesson.

I highly recommend the PreScripts cursive handwriting products from Classical Conversations. The levels available are:
As I stated, we reviewed the PreScripts Cursive Words and Drawing level. If you would like to read other reviews on this level, and reviews on the other three, visit the Schoolhouse Review Crew blog.


Photobucket

***************************


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a