Skip to main content

Weekly Wrap-up ~ Thumbs Up


We just finished our MUCH-DESERVED Spring Break trip to Florida and are now back home in Missouri. It was a perfect week and we are sad it's over, but are looking forward to our final Spring Break week at home. Good thing we have no plans because it's supposed to snow today??? What?

The Past Week in our Regular Life

We left our house last Friday afternoon and drove two hours to spend the night at our friend's house. Then we were up at 3:30 a.m. ready to leave for our trip. We had a very good drive considering we were piled in one car with five kids. There were lots of movies watched and snacks eaten.


One of the kids has asthma and he was having some troubles at the beginning of the trip. Then Brynne arrived in Florida with a sore throat and a fever. She had a very fitful night of sleep that first night and ran a low-grade fever all day on Sunday. They spent the first day on the couch playing Minecraft. But after that they were both all better and ready to have a fun vacation.


The Schooling Basics

NONE. The End.

The Schooling Fun Stuff

We did log some school hours this week! We spent 3 hours at the National Naval Aviation Museum.


We spent 2 hours at Mess Hall - an interactive Science museum.


We watched a practice show of the Blue Angels and got autographs and talked with them.


We spent many hours wave jumping. (If you don't think that's P.E. then you have never jumped waves.)


We toured Fort Pickens.


And we stopped by the pier to chase the pigeons and look at the boats.


The Kitchen

Jodi and I made a specific meal list and stuck to it this week. It was nice to share the kitchen and meal preparations with a friend. We may or may not have sipped a few glasses of wine.


The Days Ahead

This week we are on vacation from our vacation. We are taking off this week from school and just getting the house reorganized. Brynne has softball practice a couple of evenings this week, we have bowling on Saturday, and Easter is Sunday.

The Books We are Reading

Mom: Revenge Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger (finished), Fly Away by Kristin Hannah, Living So That by Wendy Blight.

Brynne: A Surprise for Lily by Mary Ann Kinsinger and Suzanne Woods Fisher.

Eli: Big Nate: On a Roll by Lincoln Peirce (finished), Big Nate: In the Zone by Lincoln Peirce.

Read Aloud:  The Raft by Robert Trumbull.

The People and the Places

We had such a great time with these people this week!


The Savings Jar(s)

I put $5.30 in the change jar.

The Bible in a Year

I did not read my Bible each day this past week. But this week I will be reading two days' worth each day to get caught up.

The Favorite Things


Rick surprised the kids by coming home on Saturday evening to greet them when we walked in the door. They didn't know he was in the house and when they saw him they pounced on him! Brynne just sobbed and sobbed. They love their daddy so much and were so happy to see him.

Kyndal and Dawson were awesome while I was gone and I came home to a clean house. I was so grateful to them.


Linking up





Comments

  1. Looks like you had a great time. I lived there for many years. Glad you had a good trip and while it had a rough start all got better :)

    My tea giveaway is up and running. This one is for a box of black teas, I have a green tea one going live next monday also http://lettersnumbersandbooksohmy.blogspot.com/2014/04/red-rose-tea-review-and-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a