Skip to main content

Weekly Wrap-up ~ Accomplishments


We jumped right back into real life this past week, and we were ready to tackle it after our couple of weeks off. In fact, we were pretty energized all week.

The Past Week in our Regular Life

There was a lot of practicing softball this week, as Brynne's season has begun. She decided a few weeks ago that she wanted to try to be one of the pitchers on her team, so she started practicing. We all practiced with her all week. Turns out she isn't half bad! The girl set a goal and worked for it. I am so proud of her for that!


My sister and I also started running again. It's the first time I have run since last August when I fell and tore a ligament in my knee. It was a long road to recovery as I chose not to go to the doctor and go through all the nonsense I was sure they would put me through. I was patient and it paid off. It has felt great to run again!

The Schooling Basics

Bible - We learned all about Daniel this week. This has been one of our favorite stories in the Bible to read.

Grammar - We learned about Possessive Pronouns and Possessive Pronoun Adjectives with lots of diagramming.

Spelling - We learned about words with "x" and "z" in them, as well as continued working with Wild Tales with vowel chunks, copy work, and dictation.

Science - The kids completed a module in Science4Us on Animals.

Math - In Math U See we learned about composite and prime factors, began learning about division with remainders in CTC Math, and simplifying fractions.

The Schooling Fun Stuff

We are working on two literature units right now. One is on The Raft and we are learning about survival skills. And the other is on The Courage of Sarah Noble. I will be posting about both of these literature units soon!

Kyndal has achieved her goal of becoming a Level 2 student at her cosmetology school. This is a huge jump in her career and took a lot of hard work on her part. I am very proud of how good she is doing in school and know she will be a successful stylist! Only a few more months of school!!



The Kitchen

I know I cooked last week, but for the life of me I have no idea what I cooked. Oh yeah, one night we had barbecue meatballs, baked potatoes and corn. And another night we had beef and bean burritos. We did eat out this weekend since we were in St. Louis and I feel so yucky tonight. We ate too many fried foods. My body is not used to eating that kind of food. Although it was good while we were eating it, I find that I definitely prefer eating a little healthier at home.

The Days Ahead

Eli and Brynne only need 16 more hours before we are done with school for the 2013-2014 school year. We will be finishing up on Monday and Tuesday. Then on Wednesday we will start our month long summer break before we start back to summer school the first week of June. I have a LOT of projects I am wanting to do during the month of May so my mom and I will be starting the first one on Wednesday. It's actually going to be a very busy week. Then on Sunday I will be speaking at our church's annual Mother-Daughter Banquet.

The Books We are Reading

Mom: The Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford, Living So That by Wendy Blight.

Brynne: A Surprise for Lily by Mary Ann Kinsinger and Suzanne Woods Fisher.

Eli: Big Nate: In the Zone by Lincoln Peirce.

Read Aloud:  The Raft by Robert Trumbull, The Courage of Sarah Noble by Alice Dalgliesh.

The People and the Places

What a fun weekend we had! Eli and Brynne have been bowling in a league every Saturday since last September in preparation for the state tournament that was this weekend. We went to St. Louis to compete. They bowled six games on Saturday in singles and doubles and three games on Sunday in the team event. They bowled so fantastic! In fact, as of the end of this weekend, with only one more state tournament session to go next weekend, our team is in FIRST PLACE in the state in our division! It is possible that Eli and his partner may be in contention for placing in doubles and in singles! It was such an exciting weekend and a lot of fun! The kids were thrilled with how they performed and the parents had a blast watching our kids do so well!



The Savings Jar(s)

I put $1.74 in the change jar this week.

The Bible in a Year

I got caught up on my Bible reading and finished reading 2 Samuel.

The Favorite Things

Bowling wasn't the only fun part of this weekend. We took the kids to City Museum on Friday night. It is one of their favorite places to go and they had a blast!


My mom went with us, and she and I were able to spend some time shopping, which I haven't done in two years since we moved to Missouri. Rick took the kids swimming in the hotel pool and to McDonald's to eat and play while we shopped. We had a nice time just browsing and picking up some bargains.


Linking up





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a