Skip to main content

Weekly Wrap-up ~ Late


This post is overdue. It is from last week! We have started back to school, but summer activities are also in full swing. Although we are more relaxed in some ways, we are extra busy in others. Therefore, this post is late.

The Past Week in our Regular Life

It was a rainy and stormy week which gave me a chance to get quite a few things done in the house. We have lived in our house for two years and I finally got around to painting the back entry way to our house leading down to our basement. It was a yucky job and I realized why I had been putting it off for so long. But, it's done. Finally!



The Schooling Basics

Our schooling basics this summer consist of Bible, math and reading. We are using a review product from Veritas Press for Bible (which is fantastic). In math we are finishing up our division concepts with CTC math and then will be going back to do all of the 4th grade materials to get ready for 5th grade math in the fall. And the kids will be reading …. doing lots of reading. They will continue to read from their personal books every day, and ….


The Schooling Fun Stuff

We had a lot of fun with a Moving Beyond the Page literature and science unit study last summer. So we are at it again this summer. We are reading Sarah, Plain and Tall and doing a full literature unit study on it. And in conjunction with that unit study we are doing a science and social studies unit study called The Land, which includes a lot of map study.


Each Wednesday and Thursday we go to the library. On Wednesday the kids are part of a book club reading the book Capture the Flag by Kate Messner. On Thursdays we attend our gardening class where we have planted a community garden in town and are learning all about nutrition. This week we will be making a garden taco.

The Kitchen

Kyndal has been living in her house for a full week now and it didn't take me long to realize that she is the one who likes the evening home-cooked meal. The other kids are pretty laid back when it comes to meals. Honestly, they don't really care what we have as long as they are fed. I think I will be  doing a lot less full-meal evening cooking and more kid-friendly meals.

The Days Ahead

We don't have any softball this week, so it will be a quiet week (until Saturday when we have a double header). But this weekend it will be a busy one with Rick's birthday on Saturday and Father's Day on Sunday. I am working on a plan for Rick's birthday, and I think we are going to take the family to see How to Train a Dragon 2 on Sunday afternoon. Rick and my 13th anniversary is on Monday, so we will be celebrating sometime soon.

The Books We are Reading

Mom: A Woman's Place by Lynn Austin.

Brynne: A Surprise for Lily by Mary Ann Kinsinger and Suzanne Woods Fisher, Frozen: The Junior Novelization

Eli: Big Nate: Goes for Broke by Lincoln Peirce.

Read Aloud:  Sarah, Plain and Tall by Patricia MacLachlan.

The People and the Places

My mom and I spent all day Friday at an annual subdivision garage sale in Kansas City. As always, we got some great stuff. I got Kyndal several things she needed for her house, a coffee table with baskets that I plan to convert to a bench for our back entry, several pairs of shoes for myself (seriously, about every color of flats you can imagine and two pair of boots … and a brand new pair of Toms for $1.00), and odds and ends for the kids. It was a really fun day and one I thoroughly enjoy spending with my mom.

The Savings Jar(s)

I put $5.14 in the savings jar this week.

You might be wondering what I plan to do with the savings jar money. Well, Rick's birthday, Father's Day, and our anniversary are this month and are always within a few days of each other. I like to be able to celebrate him without having to ask him for money to spend to celebrate him … know what I mean? So, I am using all of the change I have saved the first half of the year for him, and only him. Then I will use the change saved in the last half of the year for his Christmas gift.

The Bible in a Year

I am officially about one week behind on my Bible reading. With all of the rain this past week I have been sick most nights with a terrible sinus headache, almost to the point of a migraine. Then we were crazy busy all weekend. I will get all caught up this week, though. I am just doubling up on my reading. I have read through Jeremiah 22.

The Favorite Things

Kyndal and I went to see Backstreet Boys in concert on Saturday night. It was so awesome! That was the third time we have seen them, the first time being when she was 5 years old. I guess you could say we are officially groupies.



Linking up





Comments

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a