Skip to main content

Random 5



1. Well, now Eli has the virus that hit Brynne so hard a couple of weeks ago. He has the exact same symptoms she had ... a very slight sore throat, a very tiny bit of stuffy head, and a fever. So we are back to being snuggled up at home.

2. Out of all the t.v. shows I like to watch (and there are many), Project Runway is my favorite. However, I realize that I must suck at identifying New York caliber fashion. On this week's episode of All-Stars, the six designers I picked with the strongest designs were in the bottom six. Apparently there's a reason I am a stay-at-home homeschooling mom and not a fashion magazine editor. You will only get how funny this next statement is if you are a fan of the show. If you aren't then you can just skip ahead to number 3 .... "Do you know the people who hate Nina Garcia? People who suck."

3. My niece Rylee is having a baby right now as I type. I mean she is literally pushing out her baby girl as I am typing this. My mom just texted me and said that the baby is face up so she is having trouble pushing. Shoot up a little prayer for her if you don't mind. UPDATE: Ellie Noelle was born this morning and weighed 6 lbs. 5 oz. She is perfect and beautiful! Mama and baby are both tired but doing great!

4. It is coooooold! Winter has come early to the Midwest. It's supposed to get down to 10 degrees this week. We are not quite ready for this burst of frigid air. I love winter, but not when we are supposed to be enjoying our favorite season of fall!

5. My sister-in-law, Shawna, has written a children's book and is participating in Kickstarter to try to get funding to get it published. It is called The Wheels on the Bicycle and is an adaptation of The Wheels on the Bus. Tim (my brother) and Shawna live in Oregon and are part of the bicycle movement (they even moved all of their furniture and belongings to their house with bicycles!) so this project is very near and dear to them. If you would like an opportunity to make a pledge and receive a copy of her book when it is published, you can go to THIS LINK. Any pledge would be appreciated. Shawna will not make any profits on the book. She has done this out of pure passion and all money charged for the book will go directly to publishing and shipping costs.

Comments

  1. that stinks about Eli :( sending speedy recovery prayers his way. Glad your niece and baby are doing well. I'm a children's book reviewer and work with all kids of children's publishing companies from Random House Kids to Tiger Tales and more. Let me know if I can help any it sounds like a cute title and idea!

    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe baby Ellie is already here! I hope they are all doing well!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a