Skip to main content

Budget - January


My One Word for this year is Budget. As you can read about in my original post, this encompasses much more than money. I am on a quest to keep our financial budget, to have a healthy budget of my time, and a healthy budget of 'me versus them' time. This also includes reasonable levels of household duties, time with God, and healthy eating and exercise. It's been a little more complicated than I thought. So how did I do in January?

Financial

I accomplished what I set out to accomplish this month, only putting $50 on my JCP credit card because I ordered a flat iron that I actually needed. I will pay it off this month. I didn't put anything else on any credit cards that I didn't immediately turn around and pay off.
  • I used the excess money in our utilities and fuel budget to pay two medical bills and extra on a credit card.
  • I put $60 in our Christmas 2015 savings.
  • I put $30 in Dawson's savings (for emergencies).
  • All other scheduled savings went into their respective categories (vacation, taxes, emergency, etc.) and have stayed put.
  • I did spend all of our clothing and activity budgets (the kids having bowling tournaments I had to pay entry fees for).

Exercise and Healthy Eating

I am happy to report that I am succeeding here. Each morning I get up and do 25 minutes of Tae Bo while I drink a glass of water with lemon oil (for my heartburn). I have been eating about 1450 calories a day, using the Trim Healthy Mama philosophies and logging on MyFitnessPal. I have noticed that I am eating "clean" about 80-90% of the time and feeling great! I have lost a total of 3 pounds since my last weigh-in. 
  • My favorite breakfast is a 2 oz. baked boneless pork chop covered in cooked spinach and a fried egg. 
  • My favorite lunch is whatever soup I have made for the week. I've had vegetable, creamy cheesy cauliflower, and chicken and noodles.
  • My favorite dinner is a chicken stirfry with cooked spinach and mini sweet peppers over brown rice.

Time with God

As soon as I am done exercising each week, I grab my Bible for some quiet time. I do a few pages out of the book Living So That by Wendy Blight. 
  • My women's small group is meeting twice a month for one hour and we are memorizing scripture (with Beth Moore) based on our individual word of the year. I practice this every day.
  • Last week my friend Jessica and I started doing a Beth Moore Bible study together. I have done about 10 of her studies in my life, but never done Breaking Free. I am excited to do this! We are going to get together on Wednesdays at 5:00 p.m. to watch the weekly video, that you can now purchase and stream on your advice. You no longer have to buy the Bible study kit. Awesome!
  • I teach the 4th - 6th grade Sunday School class at my church. But, the actual church service just leaves much to be desired. I don't attend. Instead I have started watching the life streaming of Epic Church's 6:00 p.m. service. Rick goes back to Oklahoma at about that time and I can retreat to my bedroom with a cup of hot chamomile tea with lemon oil to watch the service.

'Me versus Them' time and My Daily Schedule

If I am failing anywhere it would be here. I am in a phase right now where all I want to do is be alone and read! I get annoyed when I am interrupted by the phone or a surprise visitor. I am a homebody extraordinaire and a recently self-diagnosed pathological introvert, so I have to remember that it is not always about ME! I have two children who are introverts as well (the boys and Dawson's girlfriend, Taylar). Brynne is an extrovert adapting to living in a household of introverts (but gets super excited when her daddy is home for the weekend ... finally someone to have fun with!). Rick is a good mix of extrovert and introvert, but could sure use me to come out of my shell on the weekends. And Kyndal is a total extrovert and gets her feelings hurt easily when I don't want to come out to play on a whim like she wants to. I am trying to navigate these waters and find a good balance of taking care of my family's needs while still staying true to myself. It's tough but I am determined.
  • I am still not good at making sure my housework is done when there is a good book longingly gazing at me from a few feet away. It's a matter of just getting it done!
  • That basement is still staring up at me, begging me to start purging it!
  • Even though I wanted to take a longer nap yesterday, I got up and cleaned out my refrigerator/freezer. (Baby steps!)
  • Although I have added a few things to our schedule (Bible study, etc.), I feel like they are important things that don't take too much away from myself or my family. I am happy with the way things are going.
So, overall I think I have had a successful month. Of course I have room for improvement and need to stay the course. For me that is a strict schedule.

Check back at the end of February to see how I did.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a