Skip to main content

Tuesday Coffee Chat



The official Tuesday Coffee Chat is back this week. Today's question is ...

17 again! If you could be any age again, for one week, what age would you be?

I would be 23 1/2. That is how old I was when I became a mom for the first time. I was so young and had so much on my plate and so many distractions ... in my third year of law school, studying for the Bar exam, building a house, making big decisions I had no business making at that time in my life, trying to obtain it all. 

But I already had it all, in the tiny little package that was Kyndal.

It took many, many years later, and a few more kids, for me to realize that being a mom was all I ever wanted. 

I wish in that one week I would have held my baby close and just quit everything else. I wish I would have had wisdom and courage to quit law school, even though I had almost completed it. I wish I would have stopped construction on our house because we couldn't afford it. I wish I would have forced my husband (at the time) to step up and do whatever it took to take care of his family financially so I could stay home with my baby full time. I wish I would have had the foresight to know that homeschooling would be so great and would have devoted myself right then to starting her education at home.

I wish I would have soaked in every single moment of her in that week and for every week thereafter. Because now she is a 20 year old woman getting ready to get married and start a family of her own and it all went by in the blink of an eye. 

I'd like to think that doing that week over and doing it differently would have changed the course of the rest of my life. I wouldn't change any of it if it meant that I would not have ended up married to Rick and the mother of Dawson, Eli and Brynne, as well. But I have to believe that knowing early on in my life as a mother that motherhood was the most important thing, that I would have kept myself from going down a long path away from the destination God had planned for my life.

Comments

  1. Our path is determined...We just live through it, making decisions along the way, experiencing it. I married at 23 1/2...I don't think we were truly ready. But my kids came from that and I would never change that. Motherhood is AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that I had the courage to take the plunge, leave the corporate world and be full time mom. Granted, I was older - 34, so I guess I had years of experience under my belt, as well as His guiding hand. I just knew it was where I wanted to be. Not that it was easy at first - but it has been the hardest job I've ever loved. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a