Skip to main content

Tuesday Coffee Chat




As Leslie at Time Out for Mom is obsessed with some particular super heroes, this week on Tuesday Coffee Chat she says ... Tell me about something you think is super.

School breaks are super super! We are on our May break now and it feels so good! Of course we are busy, busy, busy (which is why we take our break in May), but it is so nice to not have to really think or plan for a while.

What do our days look like?

I am still up early each morning because Macie comes to stay with us while her mom is at work until midday. But after I get Dawson's lunch made and get him out the door to school I can sit on the couch and drink a few cups of coffee and get caught up on my computer work.

The kids sleep in, of course, and pretty much drag out of bed whenever they feel like it.

Kyndal and I are still working out every day, but we now have the luxury to do it whenever it fits best into our day. Today we are working out at 9:30 a.m. because my mom and I are starting a purge in my house promptly at 10:00 a.m.

Yes, I have time now to do all those things in my house that have needed to be done for ages! I finally broke down and called in my uber-simplifying mother to come help me purge to get our house as simple as possible. I need extra help in finding places for all that stuff we have that has no home except in a pile. That is the real downside of living in a turn-of-the-century home (the century being the 20th one) ... there are very few closets or storage options.

It is free city clean up days until tomorrow afternoon so I have today and tomorrow to purge so I can get rid of any junk we have. We are also participating in Brynne's Girls on the Run service project today which is a rummage and bake sale to raise money for a teacher who has had a major surgery. Anything we no longer need or want can be donated to the rummage sale, but it is this afternoon! Gotta get busy today!

And I have to bake something for the bake sale. A certain little girl volunteered me to donate something.

After the purge I will spend my days this month cleaning out closets, switching winter and summer clothes, reorganizing dressers, etc. Always something to do!

Evenings are spent going to softball practices, softball games, family dinners, bike rides, frisbee games, etc. We are always doing something!! Eventually I get the kids back in the house, bathed, fed, and ready for bed. And then I collapse.

Somewhere in here I would like to read a few books. I have been in a reading slump and I have three I want to have read by the end of the month. And I have loads of shows backed up on my DVR that need watched.

And then there are the weekends. This weekend we are going to Jefferson City, Missouri, to tour the capitol and then the kids are bowling in the state bowling tournament. Last year their team was the state champion for their division, so they have a title to defend!

Next Sunday Dawson graduates from high school. He is a pretty low-key guy and does not want any hoopla (no parties, receptions, etc.). So we will just watch him graduate and then we are going out to eat as a family. It will be such a great day of celebration as he closes this chapter of his life and starts a brand new one!

Then just five days later we will all gather to witness Kyndal and Colln say 'I do' at their legal family wedding ceremony. They want to make it legal in the states before they get married on the beach in Cozumel on May 26th. On May 23rd our family is all leaving for our vacation to witness that awesome day!

So .... where in the world would we fit in school with all of this activity? Summer breaks are SUPER! (and absolutely necessary!)

Comments

  1. Very busy. I hope your summer is super!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm also trying to get closets cleaned out! Enjoy your break!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my word.. I think YOU are my new Super Hero. that is a lot of busy, but it also sounds like a lot of fun too.
    I am in the middle of purge, purge, purge too. And some minor renovations that I would like done before we start our own summer holidays in July. And trying to keep up with my daily workouts too. It's amazing how the hours in a day can just fill up, isn't it!?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a