Skip to main content

Wednesday Hodgepodge


June is National Great Outdoors Month. Have you spent any time appreciating the great outdoors this month? If so where, and if not do you have any plans to enjoy the great outdoors before the calendar turns?

I've spent a good amount of time outside working in my yard, pulling weeds, putting down mulch, planting flowers, cleaning out my raised beds, and planting vegetables. As much as I enjoy doing that, I really enjoy experiencing the outdoors on a rainy day. We have had a lot of those lately, and I grab a cup of coffee or tea and head to my front porch to soak it all in (no pun intended). I love the watch the birds and squirrels when it is raining. It quiets my soul.

What's a current hot button issue for you?

Parenting styles, most of which involve the parents sitting on their butts and yelling at their kids/grandkids. I realize I live in a neighborhood with some colorful folks. But I have started to see a trend! Nobody talks to their children, discusses things with them, teaches them. Instead, they sit in one spot in their front yard, never getting off their butts, absorbed in their phones and/or cigarettes, and then scream at their kids to do or not do certain things. It makes me want to scream! I can't imagine sitting somewhere and screaming at my kids, especially outside for the whole neighborhood to hear.

What's a food or treat that 'disappears like hotcakes' in your house?

Frozen waffles. We go through boxes and boxes of frozen waffles, and have for years. It seems to be that one thing that everybody likes to eat.

How hot is too hot?

I would prefer for temps to not get over 80 degrees. I would rather a freezing cold day than a hot day. I don't do hot.

Do you have an artistic outlook on life? What does that mean to you?

In some ways I would say yes, in others no. I do find joy in the things and experiences around me. I really enjoy things deeply and internally, taking things in and holding them close. But there is also a rigidity to my days, a certain order that I require for peace.

What's one question you'd like to ask your father, or one you wish you could ask your father?

I'd like to know what my dad wanted to be "when he grew up". He went into the Navy right out of high school and after his enlistment period came home to work in plumbing construction with my grandpa. That is what he has done his whole life. But I wonder what he really wanted to do with his life. I've never asked him. Perhaps I should.

Something you learned from your father?

How to make gravy. It's an art, and he taught me well.

Insert your own random thought here.



Comments

  1. Would you believe that I don't like coffee? I'm starting to get a taste for it though! Each morning I brew up a couple cups for my husband to take to work...and taste it to make sure it's sweet enough. Who knows - maybe someday I'll make a cup for myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the "pot head" picture! Yes, you definitely should ask your dad!!!
    I don't do hot, either. That explains why I'm miserable right now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed reading your answers to Hodgepodge! Definitely ask dad the question!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a