Skip to main content

Random 5



1. The Wipeout Run is at the end of next month. Since I haven't been running as regularly as I was when I was training for my first 5K, I decided I better register for another one to give me motivation to get out there and run. I don't want to kill myself on the Wipeout course. My friend Jessica and I are going to go back to my old stomping grounds, Springfield, Missouri, on July 18th to run in an all women 5K through historic Springfield called Girls Just Wanna Run. I ran two miles earlier in the week and, I have to admit, I struggled. It was really humid though. This morning it was a nice 65 degrees so I pushed myself to run a full 3.1 miles. I did it without much trouble so I know I can run the whole race next week.

2. My grandma had the most amazing hydrangea bush at her house. I mean HUGE periwinkle blooms. Gorgeous!! I tried to start some bushes from cuts but was never successful. My mom did get one to start and it is growing nicely. Now that my grandma has passed her house has been sold. This week Dawson and I went over and set to digging up the hydrangea. I wanted to get the root ball. It was crazy hard to get it up, and we didn't end up getting the mother root. We did end up breaking our shovel, though. The root was seriously about 3 inches in diameter and we had no idea where it started. I planted three plants together next to my chainlink fence in the front yard and another one on the side of my house. These two places get different levels of sunlight so I am anxious to see what happens. I am seriously going to be praying over these bushes every day. I so badly want to carry on this legacy of my grandma at my own house.

3. Next Saturday is Kyndal and Collin's wedding reception, the original date of their wedding. Even though they ended up getting married in May, we decided to keep the reception the same date because we had sent out Save the Date cards way back in January for that date. We have so much to do to get ready for it. Next week is going to be nuts!

4. Several years ago my mother-in-law suffered through a bout of colon cancer. She beat that and then a couple of years later had to battle through another round of treatments to eradicate a tumor in her lung. She went in for her Scan this past week and the tumor on her lung is back. They also found a mass of some kind on her bladder that she is having tested. She has also been having some severe headaches so they did an MRI yesterday. I have not heard any of the results of her testing. We are believing for minor issues with her bladder and headaches and that she will charge through her treatment for her lung as strongly as she did the last round.

5. Tomorrow we will celebrate the birth of our son-in-law Collin (he'll be 21) and the birth of our nation. Our family will be kind of all over the place in the morning but hopefully all together at my parents' lake house by the afternoon. Enjoy your 4th of July celebration!

Comments

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a