Skip to main content

Tuesday Coffee Chat



Give it up? We are in the Season of Lent: Do you give anything up? Do you observe Lent?

Confession: This year I did not give up anything for Lent. We are Methodist, so we do observe Lent as a denomination. I consider myself more of an independent Christian (my own title), so I do not really observe the tenets of any one religious sect. I believe that Jesus is my Savior; He is the only Son of God born to the virgin Mary; that He was crucified, died on the cross, was buried, and was raised from the dead on the third day, and now sits at the right hand of God. He is my daily portion, absolutely no doubt.

I seem to have slipped into a sort of coma this winter. All of a sudden I stopped doing my morning devotion, my daily Bible study, checking in with my accountability partner. I shut down all activity except what has been absolutely necessary. I have spent my time taking care of what needs taken care of and then hibernating the rest of the time. I get that way sometimes this time of year.

I received a really neat Lent idea from a friend, and it looked promising, but I didn't do the first thing. Some years I celebrate Lent, and others I just don't. This year, I didn't.

Lest you think I have given up on my relationship with God, I do talk to Him all day every day. I listen to Him when I am silent, and sometimes I even obey. Right now I am his rebellious, lazy child, that he wishes would get motivated.

But He knows me well. He knows that I have these time of quiet. These times are necessary for my emotional and spiritual well-being. He is content with our daily conversations, because to Him it is just important that I keep talking to Him and keep the lines of communication open. He is a patient Father allowing me to be still when I need to be. Because he knows that with the coming of Spring that I will crawl back out of my shell and get out there again. It's slowly starting to happen already.

I understand the importance of Lent, but I also understand that like any religious act, it can become legalistic. We sometimes tend to do things because we are supposed to do them instead of because we feel led to do them. I just personally feel that God would rather me give myself to Him in some way each and every day than to concentrate on a 40 day stretch and then go back to "my ways". I don't want to be a "have to" Christian. I want to want to. God and I have a great relationship, our own worked out relationship, and it's one that is ongoing 365 days a year. I do not feel guilty that I have not participated in Lent because I know that my relationship with God is more important to Him than my religious activities.

Now, if you are actively participating in Lent, then I applaud you .. because your relationship with God is YOURS! You do it your way, and if you felt led to give up something for God during this season, then that is awesome, and I know that God is so pleased at your sacrifice.

My point is that whether you do or do not celebrate Lent does not make you a more superior Christian. Your daily relationship with God is what does that.

Comments

  1. So well said!! Every single word. Especially how we can become "legalistic." I am not about that at all.. I'm for being Present in whatever the moment is; whether a season of being still, or a season of Lent and sacrifice. I have a health issue, and I felt led to do this challenge at this time as way to show that I was serious about tackling the issue. Giving stuff up just came about as part of the challenge. But, I do intend to stick with the changes; and not revert back. (well, I'll probably allow myself more than 1200 calories a day, because this is crazy!! ha.) Love so much how you worded this straight from your heart - a lot of wisdom! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You understand the heart of the Gospel, giving something up for Lent is a fine add on if it helps your spiritual journey. This year it seems it wouldn't do that for you, so no need to just go through the motions.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a