Skip to main content

Tuesday Coffee Chat




How are you? Honesty required.

To be real honest, today is going to be a pj day. I had one of those real life dreams last night that had me waking up feeling blech. Plus, my left ear is clogged up. I blame the weather. It was 70 and sunny yesterday and 40 and dreary today. My allergies can't decide whether they should stick around or leave. We have schooling to do and lots of laundry. It will definitely be an on-the-couch-with-blankets-and-a-warm-beverage kind of schooling day.

On a deeper level, I am fine. I feel like I am starting to come out of my winter hibernation. I've been getting up and exercising again every morning (except for today ... because blech!) which sets a more productive tone for my whole day. Yesterday I even went for a little introductory jog with Eli. The Girls on the Run 5k is on May 7th so we have some training to do. Brynne trains with her group two afternoons a week, so Eli and I are doing some training on our own on those days.

I still find myself wanting to be completely done for the day by about 6:00 each evening, in my chair with the remote and a book. I am trying to soak in these last few weeks of not having anything to do in the evenings before Brynne's softball season starts. Then we'll be runnin' and gunnin' most evenings of the week with either practices or games.

What I am really looking forward to is our trip to Florida next month. It won't be as relaxing a trip as we have when it's just us and my mom because we are taking friends who have never gone. We have lots of things planned. I do hope that we will still get a few days of just lounging around the house reading and relaxing.

Whether I like it or not my winter slumber is coming to an end. I do have mixed feelings about it because this introvert truly thrives on her inside time. But it's time to start getting out there again, enjoying the nicer weather and outside activities. We have fun times coming in the summer, some lake time, swimming, camps, and a grandbaby arriving in September. Then things will really pick up.

So, for now, I am just enjoying the sedentary time I have left and gearing myself up for the forced extrovertedness that the spring and summer months bring. Life zips by so fast that I am, truly, just trying to live in the moment and enjoy each day and what it brings.


Comments

  1. I hope that "blech" feeling doesn't hang around too long. I hate that feeling. You're not really sick, but you're not really well. I kinda putter around the house, not really finishing anything in those times. I should really learn to just sit back and hibernate a little like you describe. Balance, right? I tend to go in fits and spurts, which I guess is rather like life; up and down. Push and Pull. But now is definitely a Season of Do All The Things! And its' wonderful. And exhausting. But hopefully I am choosing the important things of some value, so that it's not all just for busy sake. You seem to have that great balance already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the family photo. You all look amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm, maybe that is why I love winter- it is an excuse to stay in my house and hibernate! I love people, really I do, but I love my quiet time as well! Happy almost Spring, Nicole!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a