Skip to main content

Wednesday Hodgepodge



March is National Women's History Month. In that vein, who are there women who've been influential in your life? How so?

1. My Grandma Alice. She passed away a little over a year ago and I miss her a lot. She was just that grandma, you know? She fixed family dinners, was a strong Christian church-going woman, let us spend the night with her every Saturday night, gave me sage advice when I was a woman myself.
2. Gwen Schnorrenberg. Gwen was a pastor's wife at a church we attended in Oklahoma. She was an example of what a true Biblical wife and woman should be.
3. Anne Morrow Lindbergh. Ever since I read The Aviator's Wife by Melanie Benjamin I have been affected by Anne. She wrote a book called Gifts from the Sea which I read every year. What a strong woman in the midst of tough life circumstances.

In what ways do you think women have it easier than men?

I can only speak for myself, but I get to stay home with my children every day and teach them and not worry about the financial issues of our life and how we will survive. I get to depend on my husband for that, and he has the huge burden of taking care of all of us. I know I definitely have it easier than him.

What do you need most right now: faith, love, hope, or peace? 

Happily, I have an abundance of all of these things at this place in my life. I guess if I had to choose one I would say peace.

Do you have a  collection? If so, what do you collect and why?

I do not have anything that I continually collect at this time. But, I do have a collection of roosters in my kitchen. Back to my Grandma Alice, she had ceramic roosters in her china hutch in her kitchen that she gave to me many years ago. I have added to those and made my kitchen theme "roosters" ever since. I never grow tired of it, and it makes me feel close to her. And I lied... I guess I do continually collect because I bought Rick a rooster coaster for his desk in the dining hutch area of our kitchen and just this weekend I bought some rooster fabric to make a little curtain to go at the bottom of our microwave cabinet to cover some baskets.

Plaids, checks, polka dots, stripes ... your favorite?

It's a close race between plaids and stripes, but I am going to go with stripes.

In what ways are you the same as your childhood self?

I can remember laying in my bedroom listening to music for hours. I had a special relationship with my bedroom. I just liked to be there. It was my own place. (Well, except for the half that my sister occupied, but you get the point.) At one time I remember a friend of my parents' saying that if I just had a mini-fridge I would never leave my room. That was true. I am still the same way today. I could literally just live in my bedroom. Now I don't necessarily need a mini-fridge, but a coffee pot might keep me there for days on end. It's my happy place. It's my own place. I can go in there and read, watch some t.v., sleep, and just be. It think this is why I have been so excited about getting Brynne a real bedroom created in our basement. Everybody just needs their own space.

You're a contestant on the TV game show Jeopardy. What category will you ace?

I am a "jack of all trades but master of none" kind of person. I don't have one thing I am really good at or know a lot about. I guess if I had to choose one it would be something about television shows. I have always been a big t.v. watcher.

Insert your own random thought here.

I mentioned a couple of questions back about creating a bedroom for Brynne. The poor girl has just never had her own space. When she was born, we didn't have room for her so her crib was in the dining room until she was sleeping through the night and then we moved her into Eli's room. In a rental house while ours was being built, she shared a room with Kyndal. She did have her own room at our newly built house, but had always shared with someone so wanted to sleep in Eli's room with him. We got him bunkbeds and, although, she still had her own room she slept in his. But she wasn't really of an age to appreciate her own space so never played in her own room or anything. When we moved to Missouri we moved into a 3-bedroom house. With no choice, she shared a room with Eli again. That's been 3 years and she is now 10 years old. She is at that age where she desperately wants her own space. We have one of those unfinished icky basements. There is one little room that is actually a room with a dropped ceiling and walls. But we have always called this room the "meth room" because we are pretty sure it was designed to cook something by the previous owners/renters. (The story behind our house is another long story.) About a year ago we painted the walls and concrete floor, threw down a rug and put Brynne's bed and dresser in there. But, honestly, it looked like a basement room and she didn't want to spend time there. I don't blame her. A couple of weeks ago I came up with a flooring solution and some decorating ideas to make it more bedroom-worthy for a 10 year old girl. About $250 later she had a perfect bedroom for her. She is loving it and has hardly left it unless she has been made to. Remembering how important it was to me to have my own room, which I never did, I have been so happy for her. She told me that it is the best thing that has ever happened to her.


Comments

  1. I loved/hated sharing a room with my younger sister growing up. Once my older sister went off to college and got married I moved into her room. My sister and I still held regular sleep-overs though : ) I'm glad you were able to get creative with the space for your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your daughter's room sounds awesome...would love to see pics. sometime. Having my own space growing up was essential.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad she has her own space now. Her comment made me smile! Room sharing can be tough!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was the little sister when I shared a bedroom with my sis. I know I must have annoyed her to no end! ha We are 5 years apart - a;ways in different phases of growing up. Poor thing. She had to put up with me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can totally identify with your connection to your room. I was that kid/teenager too. Music and a book and a bed and I was happy. If time permits, I still do that.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a