Skip to main content

The Simple Woman's Daybook


It's been forever since I have done a Daybook entry. Tuesday Coffee Chat has taken the rest of the summer off, so I am jumping back into a favorite from days gone by.



Looking out my window ... it's already muggy hot and sunny.

I am thinking ... about my Kyndal and grandbaby Bennett and hoping that he will stay put another few weeks. Kyndal started having contractions and cervical dilation yesterday and spent the night in the hospital to try to get her contractions to stop. She is only 32 weeks and Benny needs a few more weeks!

I am thankful ... for my husband and all of the ways he spoils me.

One of my favorite things ... is that amazing first cup of coffee in the morning. So, when I wake up and I hadn't set my timer the night before and that cup is not waiting to be poured the second I get out of bed, I almost start crying.

I am creating ... curriculum plans for our upcoming school year.

I am watching ... the Kansas City Royals try to pull themselves back up in the standings. We've had a rough few weeks, but last night's win against the 1st place Cleveland Indians should have put a little spring in their step!

I am wearing ... a pink "Gotta Run" tank, running shorts, my beloved Brooks running shoes. Just got done running.

I am reading ... The Silent Sister by Diane Chamberlain

I am listening to ... The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer. I listened to the majority of this one on our road trip to/from Oklahoma this past weekend. Now I am finishing it while mowing, running, etc. I am so glad I am listening to this book instead of reading it myself because I am enjoying the accents of the residents of London and Guernsey.

I am hoping ... and continually praying for the healing of my son-in-law's younger brother, Austin, who was in a serious car accident last week that has left him partially paralyzed. He has had pneumonia and some other complications with his lungs that have set him back. But, he is stable, is improving, and will hopefully be able to be taken off the ventilator and feeding tube soon. He is a strong young man, and is fighting hard!

I am learning ... that when I receive huge gifts from Rick, that I feel I don't deserve, that I hurt his feelings and steal his joy when I feel unworthy of receiving them. He has told me that these things are why he works so hard, so that he can, not only, provide for our family but lavish us with the things that we want. I hadn't considered that and really took that to heart. He does work really hard for us, to which I sometimes feel guilty. But, he actually does enjoy working hard and providing for us and giving us nice things. I will be more appreciative of that!

In the kitchen ... Things are pretty quiet right now, but this weekend we are having a full Christmas turkey dinner. Christmas in July!!

In the schoolroom ... We have this week and next before we take our August break. Each morning we will complete a page out of Learning Bridge 6-7, read aloud out of The Jungle Book, and read out of our personal books.

In the garden ... Oh, what a mess! My berries look good, I've got a patch of sweet potatoes, and I have a few herbs. But, what a jungle out there! I gotta do some work!

Board Room ... I have a private board going now called "Farm Living". We are making plans to move out onto some acreage in the next couple of years, so the ideas are swirling. Here's one of my Pins.

Photo Credit
Every authentic farmhouse needs a boxwood wreath!


Post Script ... 10 Ways to Give Your Kids an Honest-to-Goodness 1970s Summer by Melissa Fenton, Huffington Post. So funny and so stinking right on!!

Shared Quote ...



A Moment from my Day ...



SaveSave

Comments

  1. I had to stop by and do some reading after seeing your recent comment! I will keep Kyndal and your grandson in my thoughts and prayers, along with Kyndal's brother-in-law. So glad to hear that he is improving!
    I went on bed rest with Dylan at almost 31 weeks and he stayed put until 35 weeks. Hopefully the bed rest will help! XOXO Thinking of you all!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a