Skip to main content

Wednesday Hodgepodge



Are you watching the Olympics? Your favorite summer Olympic event? I read recently a list of the most iconic Olympic moments in history ... what stands out in your mind as a great moment from some past summer Olympic games?

We are watching quite a bit of the Olympics this year. I enjoy swimming the most, and particularly enjoyed watching Michael Phelps beat the pants off that jerk, Le Clos. I agree that the 1936 Olympics in Berlin, Germany, were definitely monumental with Hitler using the games as propaganda and then Jesse Owens putting Hitler in his place with his four gold medals (priceless!). If you haven't seen the movie, Race, it is worth a watch. The pipe bomb at the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta, Georgia, was a pretty big event. And, for me personally, watching Mohammad Ali light the torch in the opening ceremony of those same games was pretty special.

Have you ever been to Rio? How about the place that started it all -- Greece? Have you ever been to any of the Olympic games in person? Is that something you'd like to do? Have you ever met an Olympian in person?

I have not been to Rio. I have not been to Greece, although it is on my bucket list! I have not been to the Olympic games in person, but have been to Olympic Centennial Park in Atlanta. The Olympic Rings water fountain show is pretty cool! I have no desire to go to the Olympics. I am not too interested in being in a large venue with today's terrorist activity. I have not ever met an Olympian in person, but we learned that the 21 year old USA archery silver medalist is from Wellington, Missouri, which is very close to our home town. We are hoping that maybe he frequents the archery shop where the kids will be attending shoots this fall. Maybe we will meet him!

The ball's in their court (tennis), cross the finish line (track and field), on target (archery), make a splash (diving), on a roll (gymnastics), out of one's depth (swimming) ... which Olympic-related idiom best applies to your life right now? Explain.

I would have to say that we are on target. Our family is just in a really good place right now .. all of us. We are anxiously awaiting the birth of our first grandson; I am happy to see my two grown children in loving relationships with solid future plans; we are getting ready to start our 7th year of homeschooling, and it just gets better and better every year; and, Rick and I are closer than ever, going on some fun adventures, and just enjoying life.

What have you earned a 'gold medal' in recently?

Oh, gosh, I don't know. I guess I would have to say that both Rick and I have really done well in our training on our bikes. We have been taking long rides, for us, between 15-18 miles each weekend. Two weekends ago we rode 35 miles at once! We were hurting so bad! But, we did it, and we are going to keep working to do it again. We have got to get ourselves worked up to riding 60 miles in one ride and then getting up and riding about another 50 on the next ride. The ride we are working toward is 241 miles over 5 days.

What is it (or who is it) that motivates you to eat right, exercise, and do what you can to be healthy?

I really do it for myself. It makes me feel really accomplished. But, I also keep in mind that I have two daughters who are watching me, and I would like to be an inspiration to them. My mom has always been an inspiration to me, someone who exercises every day and eats healthy. She looks great for a woman her age and is very healthy.

Are you young at heart or an old soul? Explain.

Definitely an old soul. I am a little old lady trapped in a 40-something year old body.

It's National S'mores Day (August 10th) ... are you a fan? Will you celebrate with a s'more today?

I do love s'mores, but we did not have any today. I did, however, have some brownies and Jazz Berry wine by Adam Puchta. That was a nice treat!

Insert your own random thought here.

We are super excited to announce that we are purchasing 17 acres about 2 miles outside of town. I have always wanted to live out in the country in a farmhouse and have a hobby farm. Kyndal and Collin also want to live out on some acreage and want to live close to us. We found 17 acres for a very good price that is set up perfectly to build two homes with a tree line dividing the two. Rick and I are purchasing the property with plans to build in a couple of years. We are looking at farmhouse plans. Collin and Kyndal will build a home shortly after we do, hopefully, on the side of the property with the well-stocked pond. We have already picked out the spot where we will create a path through the trees so that Bennett, and any of Kyndal and Collin's other children, will be able to come to Nana and Grampy's house whenever they want. There is also plenty of remaining land that one or more of the other kids could build there if they ever wanted to. It is a very exciting time in our lives! I am going to have chickens and a tea cup piggie, maybe an old horse.
SaveSave
SaveSave

Comments

  1. Hi Nicole, I enjoyed reading about you and your family. OMG 241 miles! I ride my bike, but about 10 miles is my limit, I suffer from arthritis and longer distances put me out of commision the next few days. Ride on my friend, you inspire me!
    Cheers!
    Lori in Blue Ridge, GA

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting about your land! I would love for my kids to live next to me with their families. You have so much to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a