Skip to main content

The Simple Woman's Daybook




Tuesday Coffee Chat is on hiatus for a few weeks. So, let's Daybook instead.

Looking out my window ... It's sunny and pretty this morning after some gray, foggy days. This weekend's snow is ever-so-slightly melting.

I am thinking ... about how uncommitted people are today. If you are invited to an event and say you are going to be there, do not make other plans later and then cancel. It's rude! And then really don't post photos on your Facebook page of you doing something else besides what you said you were going to be doing. Put the event on your calendar and then show up like you said you would. If you don't want to do something, then don't say yes in the first place. It can actually be hurtful to the person you are standing up (especially if that someone is a child). It's just plain rude and inconsiderate.

I am thankful ... for brighter days ahead and an attitude to match them.

One of my favorite things ... is Christmas Day. Thankfully we do not have to travel. It's a day where we stay home in our comfy clothes all day! I cook a big breakfast, we open gifts, have visits from family members, and then a big Christmas dinner with an open invite for whatever family can make it. I do lots of work that day, but I love it!

I am creating ... as many Christmas memories with my family as I can. We have kept up with our Advent list this year and have had a lot of fun!

I am watching ... The OA on Netflix. Or, at least, I have watched the first episode. Weird. Not sure if I like it, but I am intrigued. (Dirty scene in the beginning I could have done without. It adds nothing to the storyline, so why?)

I am wearing ... warm clothes because the kids and I will be out delivering meals to senior citizens in a couple of hours and it's cold outside!

I am reading ... Mistletoe Inn by Richard Paul Evans. It's my yearly Christmas novel fix.

I am listening to ... the blowing sound of the furnace.

I am hoping ... for some peace of mind for Dawson (and me) as he tries to figure out the next steps of his life.

I am learning ... to get back out there and be myself, even if it costs me relationships in the end. Two of my good friends have really been helping me with this.

In the kitchen ... has been a whirlwind of activity! In addition to weekly homemade waffles and whole wheat bread, we have baked cinnamon rolls for Christmas morning, made homemade doggie treats, and this week we are pre-prepping some of our Christmas evening meal foods. I am also working on a Christmas gift for some family members, and really hoping I get the end result I envision.

In the schoolroom ... We only have today and tomorrow until we are on Christmas break!! Yippee! And we are taking an extremely long break this year ... until February 6th! We had planned to start back at the end of January, but I get to go on a girl's trip to Hawaii to see my friend, Cheryl, so we put it off a week and worked right up until Christmas instead. We are ready for an extended break!

Board Room ... I am always pinning things for our future hobby farm and farmhouse, decor and such. This past week I pinned some fun Christmas ornaments for Brynne and her friends to make at an ornament decorating party. They turned out really great! And there's always food. My most recent pin? Beef stew!



Post Script ... 15 Easy Things You Can Do That Will Help You When You Feel Like Shit by Maritsa Patrinos on BuzzFeed. Because, admit it, sometimes you just do. I have found that these things actually do help me when I wake up and just think, "Nope, not today."

Shared Quote ... I especially love this quote when it's being sung by Amy Grant.



A Moment from my Day ... I love my daily visits with this fella! I am a blessed Nana having her little guy just a couple of blocks away. (17 weeks old)








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a