Skip to main content

Wednesday Hodgepodge



Let's talk holiday decorating. On a scale of 1-10 where do you fall? (1=Scrooge and 10=Clark Griswold). What's your favorite corner-room-table-space to decorate? is it done?

I have always said that if it weren't for having children, I probably wouldn't decorate for Christmas. It's just busywork that I do not enjoy. For years I overdid it and was in a bad mood the whole time I was decorating and putting away. Even last year when I simplified down to a just a tree and stockings, I was still grumpy. I figured out this year that my grumpiness was because we had a real tree. It's a mess and gets so dry and brittle and I just don't enjoy it. So this year I bought a $20 artificial tree and stuffed it full of our decorations. I put a berry sprig on the fireplace mantle with our stockings. And I made a small advent corner. And that was it. And it felt good. I am enjoying the simplicity. So, to answer the questions, I would have to give myself a 2.



Is there a nativity scene in your decorating somewhere? Post a picture or, if it's special to you in some way, tell us why. Or do both ... it's Christmas!

I used to have over 30 nativity sets, but our small house has little space to display them. I got rid of all but one nativity, and it's just a small one. It's pretty white porcelain. Again, simple.


Do you live in a social neighborhood? If so are you glad? If not do you wish you did?

Our neighborhood. Wow. The definition of social in this question is not the social I am going to describe. Our house sits smack dab in the middle of the most awful neighborhood. Across the street from us are duplexes that the sheriff visits several times a day. Behind us are many questionable family situations with lots of outside activity that we would prefer not to witness. Some entire family smackdowns tend to happen right out our window. It's a social neighborhood, alright. We just choose not to participate. We have purchased 17 acres 2 miles outside of town and will be building a farmhouse in the next couple of years. I cannot wait to be in complete solitude.

As the saying goes, 'there's no time like the present'. How does that ring true in your life right now?

My kids are growing up so fast. One is married with a baby. Another one is less than a year away from leaving home. One is becoming a teenager in just a couple of weeks. And the last one is leaving our homeschool to enter public school next fall. Life is so short. I look back on my 45 years of life and tend to focus on the regrets and lost opportunities. But 'there's no time like the present' to live in the present and enjoy it.

Do you dread Mondays? Why or why not?

I am one of those weirdos who loves Mondays. It's the day when routines go back into play and things feel normal. I have never been one to really enjoy the weekends.

Poinsettia, Christmas Cactus, Amaryllis ... which on the list is your favorite holiday plant? Are any of these on display in your home right now?

I love the simplicity of a poinsettia, and I purchased one for 98 cents from Lowe's last week. It's so pretty sitting on my fireplace mantle.

Share a favorite quote from a Christmas movie.

We are an over-the-top Christmas Vacation movie family. We can't just watch it at Christmas. We usually have 'Christmas in July' where I make a full Christmas turkey dinner and we watch the movie as a family. We quote it all. year. long. Even our little kids quote it. This has to be our favorite:
Todd: Hey Griswold, Where do you think you're gonna put a tree that big?
Clark: Bend over and I'll show ya.
Todd: You've got a lot of nerve talking to me like that Griswold.
Clark: I wasn't talking to you. (referring to Todd's wife, instead)
Anytime anybody in our family asks someone else where something is, the response is "Bend over and I"ll show ya!"
We also say, too often: Don't throw me down, Clark! or Is there anything else I can do for you, Uncle Lewis? or Why is the carpet wet, Todd? I don't know, Margo! or Don't piss me off, Art!
Really, I could go on and on and on.

Insert your own random thought here.

The kids and I have been enjoying our Advent studies and activities so far this season. Each day we tear a link off our chain to tell us our Advent activity of the day. We have made food garlands for our birds, decorated gingerbread houses, packed and mailed shoeboxes for Operation Christmas Child and more. Last night we celebrated St. Nicholas Day with a feast. Each day we read a passage of scripture and add an ornament to our Jesse Tree. It's been a peaceful and meaningful Advent season so far.





Comments

  1. Our nativity sets look very similar (I didn't get to post photos). A farmhouse sounds lovely. I think I would like living in the country. All I've known is the suburbs but would love the tranquility of the country. Have a great rest of the week :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a