Skip to main content

Tuesday Coffee Chat




I'm Tuesday-ing and Coffee Chatting a little earlier than normal these days.

At the end of last year I decided to get serious about doing those four things each morning that always make my day go better: getting up early for coffee and quiet time, studying my Bible, exercising, and getting ready (from mascara to shoes), hopefully all before the kids get up to start their day. My start time was 7:00 a.m., but I found that I was feeling rushed. So last week I started setting my alarm for 6:30 a.m. Funny thing is, I actually wake up before then anyway. Now I am just being intentional about actually getting out of bed, or at least getting my cup of coffee and climbing back in bed for my quiet time.

So let's Chat on this Tuesday:

Who do you trust most?

I don't like this topic. The short answer is: No one. There are lots of long answers, a long answer for every human I know, but I choose not to share.

So I'll leave it at this ... I think we are too infallible as humans to be trustworthy.

Think about it. Is there really, truly any one person who would not under any circumstances betray you or your trust in some way? I don't think we are capable of it! We can try, but we fail. How many times a day, week, month, year do we look back on our own reaction to something and say, "Why did I do that? Why did I say that? Why did I react that way?" Our human frailties cause us to react in ways we never, ever thought we would. And in the process of that we betray someone.

Each person in my life has betrayed my trust in some way, and not necessarily because they meant to do it.

The Bible continually instructs us to trust in God and God alone. Nowhere does it tell us to trust people, but only Him.

Only in God can we trust. Only in God can we take our greatest fears, weaknesses, confessions and KNOW that they will not be handled in a hurtful way.

It may seem cynical of me to say that I do not trust people. But, really, I think it's unfair to put that much pressure on any one person, to hold him or her up to a standard that he or she cannot meet. Instead, I choose to trust God, love people, and forgive them when they fail me as I hope they forgive me when I fail them.





Comments

  1. Amen amen AMEN!! I could not possibly agree with you more, Nicole! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you did clarify your remarks with what I think is a very important statement: the responsibility we place upon one another being unreasonable. We are completely imperfect. And while it may sound negative or pessimistic, I think diver deeper as you have done shows that it is not truly; but rather quite freeing in that we release one another from such a pressure. And put our trust where it won't be broken. And thankfully, we know also about grace, so that instead simply extend that to one another in our failings. Well said!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We all know that in this crazy world of homeschooling, we need all the (adult) support we can get. Please leave a comment if you so wish!

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a