Skip to main content

The Simple Woman's Daybook


I just plain don't have an answer for today's Tuesday Coffee Chat question, but I am up early and drinking coffee and in the mood to write so I am going to do a Daybook entry instead.



Looking out my window ... It is dark and chilly. It seems we are having a last blast of cold air before spring temps settle in for the duration. Why is it so dark at 7:07 a.m.? Because of that darned Daylight Savings.

I am thinking ... about how behind I am on my 40 Bags in 40 Days Lent challenge. A super busy weekend and then a cruddy cold zapped my time and energy.

I am thankful ... that I feel much better today after several days in a row of that yucky cold.

One of my favorite things ... is when I am struggling with a particular issue and then God speaks to me directly through scripture. Seek and you will find.

I am creating ... thoughts and ideas for our softball season rapidly approaching. I am coaching this year!

I am watching ... lots of DVR'd shows. I have also started watching House of Cards on Netflix while I run on the treadmill.

I am wearing ... pjs and robe now. Workout clothes in a few minutes. And then I'll shower and put on some jeans, a sweatshirt, and probably Ugg boots to do my senior citizen meal delivery.

I am reading ... The Mountain Between Us by Charles Martin. 

I am listening to ... The sound of my air purifier and my diffuser sputtering as it empties the last of its contents. And dogs snoring.

I am hoping ... to get caught up on some housework and laundry today and get our bread baked for the week.

I am learning ... that is best to just keep my opinions to myself most times.

In the kitchen ... something is stinking in my refrigerator and I cannot figure out what it is. I have pulled everything out twice and can't find the culprit. Yet, each time I open it I smell something funky. 

In the schoolroom ... Instead of taking off a full week for Spring Break I told the kids that we would just take off five random days between now and the end of our school year. Yesterday was one of those days after a crazy busy weekend of basketball. That pre-scheduled day off worked out great because I felt so rotten yesterday. Back to the books today!

Board Room ... I love this idea for the pots on my front porch! They would smell amazing and I could harvest right out my front door.



Post Script ... Sadly, author Amy Krouse Rosenthal passed away yesterday of Ovarian cancer at the age of 55. She wrote an amazing article called "You May Want to Marry My Husband" that I just adore. What a sad day for her family.

Shared Quote ... I actually dreamed last night that I forgot to take my cell phone with me somewhere when we really needed it. Then I saw this today and literally laughed out loud because I have actually done this!!



A Moment from my Day ... We have been doing a whole lot of basketball lately. Basketball is a long season, starting the first of November. We have one 3 on 3 tournament and another team tournament scheduled before we end our season. This is the last year for Brynne to play rec basketball, and she is going to miss it so much! Her coach has been amazing and has instilled in her a real love of basketball. She is ready for junior high basketball because of him. (In fact, I blame him for her going back to public school. She just cannot not play basketball. It is now in her soul.) There were over 15 girls who played basketball this year for 5th and 6th grade, mostly 6th graders. That required the coach to divide up the tournament team (the team that played together last year) to have two equal-skilled teams. Brynne's team won second in their conference in both the regular season and in the conference tournament. The other team finished 3rd in both. It has been such a fun ride! I am so incredibly proud of Brynne and her skill and character when on the court.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a