Skip to main content

Weekly Wrap-up ~ School Called on Account of Family


I am sure many of you are like we are right now ... ready for some spring temps, getting a little tired of the school routine and ready for the end of the school year, and lack of general motivation.

We have been pushing through Spring Fever, working hard on getting Brynne ready for standardized testing, and beginning to wrap up some subjects. When we start to get ho-hum about our studies it usually means we are ready for a little science.

Watching "The Wheel" on the Discovery Channel has prompted our studies of biomes. Last week we set up a science experiment to determine which of four biomes would yield the best results in growing impatiens, lima beans, and rye grass. We have the deciduous forest, grasslands, rainforest, and desert. We will be observing the growths in these biomes for the next few weeks.








A sweet lady at our church tapped Eli on the shoulder last Sunday and handed him a crinoid stem that she had found on her property. The crinoid is an ancient sea animal, but also still in existence in many oceans today. When Missouri was underwater a long, long, long time ago, there were an abundance of crinoids. It is now the state fossil. We spent some time researching the crinoid, watching videos, and doing a crossword puzzle. We are hoping to get permission to go onto her land soon and look for more fossils.


Otherwise school has consisted of the usual grammar, spelling, reading, writing, math, and studies in astronomy, Greek mythology, and Missouri history.

This week we cancelled some school work here and there because we had an influx of visiting family members in town. On Wednesday my aunt and second cousin were visiting at my mom's, so I went for lunch and ended up staying most of the afternoon. Dawson came home for a visit yesterday afternoon and my brother and niece were visiting from Oregon. We cut our school day short that day. And today, we just called the whole day off. With big brother home for a few days, we knew it would be impossible to focus. Sometimes family is more important.

Brynne wrapped up her basketball season and we are now beginning softball practices. I am the coach this year so it is definitely going to be an interesting year! Eli is still bowling every week in preparation for state tournament in May. Brynne is also running in preparation for the Girls on the Run 5K in May.


We have such a busy summer ahead!

2016-2017 School Hours Logged: 795 hours, including 163.75 hours outside home. Plus Summer 2016 Hours Logged: 70.75 hours, including 27 hours outside home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a