Skip to main content

New Chapters

Welcome back to Journey to Excellence. Tap .. tap .. tap ... Is this thing on?? I hopped over to Taulman Times for a bit, but it just didn't feel right, so I am back here to, hopefully, resume regular postings.

I hate it when people say that, when people do that. Because, usually, I know they are only going to last a week or two and they'll stop blogging again. Let's face it: Instagram, Snapchat, and other easy forms of Social Media have taken the place of the time-consuming Blog. And I might end up being one of those bloggers that annoyingly come back for a gung ho two weeks to just fade out again. But, I hope not.

What's been going on? Whew! It's been nuts around these parts!

We are still in the midst of our renovation, but starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel. I am desperately hoping that in the next couple of weeks I will be able to use my upstairs bathroom. Once that is completed then we just have some finish work to do. The final project will be replacing some windows and completing the upstairs library. Right now I'd just be happy with a nearby toilet.

Updates on the kids:

Kyndal and Collin moved back to Collin's hometown about 45 minutes away from here. It was hard to let my Benny go, but the town there is just nicer and the schools better. It was the right move for them, and I get to see them often. Collin has been promoted to an ironworkers foreman which is a huge accomplishment for a young man his age. I am super proud of him. Kyndal has taken a part-time job as a vet tech, and she seems to really enjoy her job. It also allows her extra time home with Bennett. Bennett has started attending an at-home preschool, and he loves it!

Dawson graduated from Basic Military Training for the Air Force last weekend and starts Tech School on Monday. While we were at graduation last weekend has asked Alyssa to marry him in a beautiful proposal on the San Antonio Riverwalk in front of both of their families and lots of friends. They are planning to get married right between Tech School graduation and assignment to his first duty station. Then they will be off to live their lives wherever the Air Force takes them. We will find out his first assignment in about two weeks.

Eli is finishing up his 8th grade year at home. With me working at the library most of the day, he has really had to step up this year and learn to work independently. I have been so proud of him! He has tackled some tough subjects this year with the help of online teachers, has done a lot of reading and listening to audio books, has drawn dozens of historical maps for geography, and has excelled in his grammar program (which has been a struggle for him in the past). Other than schoolwork he spends a great majority of his time on his Xbox. He still bowls in a league, with state tournament this weekend, and is getting to do a little traveling this year, which he loves. In a few weeks he is getting braces. But he'll be in good company because I am getting them, too.

Brynne has had an amazing 7th grade year back in public school. I just got her last progress report for the year and she has all A's again. She has only had one little A-, and that was first quarter. She is killing this school thing like I knew she would. She played school volleyball and basketball. And now she has started softball practices for summer league. She is running the Girls on the Run 5k this Saturday, and then we are headed to state bowling tournament. The girl is worn out all the time. In her spare time she likes to play Magic, the card game, and watch Friends reruns on t.v. She and I spend some time in the evenings watching shows together. We are enjoying Survivor, Masterchef, Rise, Timeless, and The Zoo on Animal Planet. In fact, she is thinking she might want to be a mammalogist and work in a zoo when she gets older.

What about me? I just handed in my Notice at the library because I have been offered a job as a legal assistant for an attorney out of Florida working remotely from home. It is such an exciting opportunity for me, and I couldn't be happier! Working, gaining some financial independence, being in my beloved home, being right there for the kids, having the ability to travel to see the kids wherever they live because I can take my work with me ... it's a dream job. I have wanted to do this my whole life. In my spare time (ha!), I am just taking care of our home, running the kids from here to there, working out and coaching some ladies through Beachbody, and reading when I can. I just don't need much more of a life than that.

I've got some things I want to share here on the blog in the coming weeks. I hope to see you here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

ABCya

Eli's reading resource teacher shared a website with me yesterday that I would like to pass along. It's called ABCya . There are separate educational sections with fantastic games for ages kindergarten through 5th grade. I browsed the 2nd grade level, and it includes age-appropriate games about Letters, Numbers, Shapes, Geometry, Patterns, Mouse Manipulation, Art and Holiday games. There are lots and lots of fun and creative games for children to play. They are fun, but oh, so educational. Eli's favorite, in his short time playing it, was Create a Car . A lot of the games also have Apps available for purchase (99 cents for most of them) for the iPad and iPhone. I have been looking for another free website for games similar to Starfall , for some time. I think I have found it. I can feel confident having Eli and Brynne play these games.

Cells ~ It's What's for Dinner

Dawson made edible cells on Friday. He made an animal cell pizza ... and a plant cell chocolate chip cookie ... He reviewed what he's learned about cells the past two weeks, and I had dinner made by someone else. Win, win!! I am linking up at Science Sunday at Adventures in Mommydom.

Last Child in the Woods ~ Chapters 1-4

Welcome to our book study of Last Child in the Woods by Richard Louv. To be honest, I have no idea what this "study" is going to look like. I imagine that when we get together I will post about all of the things that caught my eye. And I would ask that you leave a comment, or a link to your own blog post in the comment, about what caught yours. This isn't anything formal, ladies, just a place to talk about what we have read. I have now read the first four chapters of Last Child in the Woods two times. It is just so good. Several things have specifically hit me deep, but in general I just realized that "times, they are a changin'." Things aren't the way they were when we were kids. Chapter 1. Gifts of Nature ~ "When I see birches bend to left and right ... I like to think some boy's been swinging them." ~ Robert Frost What is your definition of nature? What feelings, visions, senses does it conjure up? For me, it's not a